Self-care is the act of treating yourself. It may be due to an illness or a traumatic experience. You can do this under the guidance of medical experts from Prime physiotherapy and rehabilitation services.
They help you to make informed decisions so that you don’t end doing any harm to yourself.
Importance of self-care
Having someone to be your caregiver can be quite expensive. If you can’t afford it, then you will suffer more. Self-care in physiotherapy will make sure that you are mentally, emotionally, and physically well. You will need a few minutes of your day to ensure that you are ok.
Our work is to walk with you every single step of the way when you are unwell. However, we know the importance of self-dependence. We will teach you exercises that will help your recovery process quicker.
Some of the practical self-care approaches include
Hot water bottles
These are bottles usually made out of rubber and can hold boiling water without melting. Using hot bottle water is a form of heat therapy.
- Aches and pain-This is usually placed on the affected area. Therefore provides heat and lessens the pain. Some of the illnesses that be alleviated by the use of the bottle are Muscular tension, stress, and stomach or backaches.
- Sports injuries and pains-If you play sports like football, rugby or hockey to mention a few then the hot water bottle can be used to administer hot therapy which will help in minimizing the pain that you will fee.
- Arthritic pain- If you are suffering from this disease, then the moist heat will give you an incredible relief on your hands.
- Menstrual cramps-When placed on the abdomen it gives soothing relief. The pain usually reduces drastically.
- Child soothing –The bottle can also be used to help children when the weather is freezing. Putting one in their blanket and letting them cuddle it will give the warmth.
- Emergency kit –If there is an accident and it is freezing the hot water bottle can help the victims keep warm before rescue services arrive on the scene.
Cold compressors involve using ice to minimize the pains and aches usually acquired from injuries and affecting soft tissues.
The patient usually needs to rest as well for the therapy to take full effect.
Benefits of cold compressors include
- When recovering after an operation-After surgery, a patient will need some therapy to be able to get back to their healthy lives. Cold compressors help the soft tissues to achieve normal function at a much quicker than if without.
- Soothes joints and muscles-If you have minor injuries then you cold compressors can give you quick and effective relief. Injuries such a sprained ankles and bruises can be treated easily using this therapy.
- Give recharge to muscles after working out-Sports people commonly suffer from a lot of injuries. Applying a cold press will help the pains that they suffer reduce immensely. It should be used regularly for a prolonged effect.
- Pain reliever-If you suffer from migraines, having a neck wrap full of ice will reduce them significantly.
Exercise is highly recommended after going through treatment at the hospital. Our able experts will guide you on some self-care physical activity that will help you recover.
Benefits of doing exercises at home include
- Build up of joints and muscles-After staying in bed for a long time your muscles will inevitably be weak. A simple exercise that can be done in the comfort of your home will help your joints to recover the lost strength.
- Improve blood circulation- Being dormant for a long time can make your blood not to flow well. Frequent exercise will significantly improve the circulation to all parts of the body. Clots may occur if you don’t move about, especially after an operation.
- Reduce pain, and swelling-If you have any swelling on your body then regular exercise at home can make them reduce drastically.
- Helps in movements of the joints-Regular exercise will aid in regaining your mobility back after a long illness or surgery. Your joints may have trouble getting back to normal, but the training will help.
When recovering, you should be very conscious of your water intake.
- Cleanses your system-Drinking a lot of water will help in clearing the waste that may be clogged in your system. Remember that you will have medication in your system due to the illness or surgery hence the need for a lot of water.
- Blood volume- Water helps in increasing the blood volume in your body; hence, the blood can reach every single area of the body, especially the parts that are injured.
- Balances acids-This will help inflammations to reduce.
Stress can make all your efforts go down the drain. You need to know how to manage the issues that you will be faced with every single day. If you don’t, then you may cause yourself more harm,
- Creating very painful inflammations.
- You will use up the Magnesium in your body, which is needed for your recovery.
- Stress usually makes someone unhappy, and that can affect their habits.
Have a healthy balanced diet
When you are recovering, you shouldn’t just focus on the outside healing but inside as well. What you eat matters a lot and can help you to improve quicker and faster.
- Food is a significant factor in any recovery process because it helps in building your immune system.
- Taking foods rich in Magnesium and calcium helps you to achieve the right muscles and bones.
- Some foods act as an anti-inflammatory and reduce pain.
Maintain a good posture
When you are hurt, and in pain, it is so easy to walk the way that feels most comfortable. It can be very dangerous when you are healing because your body will get used to such, and getting back on track will become another headache. Keep strengthening your posture while on treatment even though it may be painful. It will help the bones align themselves the way they should.
When recuperating, you should ensure that you avoid staying in bed all day and night. Even if you have to get someone to help you move around, it is imperative. Get out of bed or the chair and move around every single day. It will be a form of self-care physical therapy.
- Helps your joints to be lubricated.
- Lowers the chances of having osteoarthritis
Don’t overdo it
As important as being active is, you should not overdo it. Learn to listen to what your body is trying to communicate to you. Sometimes less is usually more, so take it easy when it comes to the exercises that you do. If you begin to feel pain and a lot of discomforts, then you should probably take it easy. Pace the intensity of the workouts and take regular breaks. If the pain becomes too much, then you can stop the exercises first. Otherwise, you may do more harm than good to yourself.
Get adequate rest
You should ensure that you have enough hours of sleep so that you can be able to be active again the next day. Have a specific time to go to bed whether you feel sleepy or not. If you don’t let your body get the required rest, even the recovery process can be affected hence making it longer than it should be.
Breathe well and relax
Breathing is essential for you to be alive. The way that you breathe usually matters a lot when the body is under treatment. You need to take some moments in a day and focus on your breathing. When you learn how to control your breath, your body will be in a relaxed mode, and you will feel better. Following the guide lines that we will provide you will be ready to administer self-care physiotherapist.
Our team will guide you on how to use the self-care approach based on your condition. We go further to follow your progress until you gain full recovery.
Visit us at Fortis suites 1st floor, suite no.3 Hospital road off Ngong road.
The building is near Kenyatta National Hospital
P.O Box 75209-00200 Nairobi
Cell phone: +254710939066