Your Ultimate Guide to Lower Back Pain Relief
Burning in lower back pain can make your life be full of pain and miserable. The pain may come as a bolt of lightning moving through your back or a constant ache that may seem to have nowhere else to go to. This can make even the most standard and ordinary tasks impossible to perform.
It may also affect your sleep hence the need to find a way to get relief as soon as possible. Lower back pain can be acute if you have had an injury recently or chronic if you have suffered from it for a long time due to reasons like;
- A long illness
- Being overweight and obese
- A herniated disc
- An old re-occurring injury
How to alleviate lower back pain
Prevention is always better than cure. Before you start looking for ways to cure that lower back pain, it is essential to know how to avoid having it in the first place. Some of the things that you need to look out for are like;
- Good posture – You should always strive to have a good posture, whether you are sitting or standing. If your job demands that you have to sit or stand for long hours, then you should make a mental note to stand and walk around a bit or find a way to take a break and sit down.
- Exercise-You should exercise regularly so that your limbs are flexible and you have mobility without any restrictions.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects-This is one of the most common reasons why some people suffer from back pains.
- Strengthen your core-
- Being inactive-If, you are used to being dormant most of the time; then your muscles may end up being weak. This may lead to lower back pain. Find things to do even when you are ill or recuperating from an illness.
- Avoid slips and fall-You can accidentally slip and fall hence hurt your back. You should ensure that you are walking on a stable surface at all times. In case you are in a building and you come across spilled water then alert someone to dry as soon as possible.
- Wear proper foot wear-Having on the appropriate shoes can save you a lot of pain and misery. Do not go for six-inch heels simply because that is the trendy thing. Invest in good shoes that will support your back well when you are walking. If you have to wear heels for one reason or another, then ensure that you take breaks from them.
When you are sitting at your desk, you can remove them so that your feet can relax. You should also walk with the heel on a flat ground
- Get a massage – You don’t have to be in pain for you to get a massage. You can do that often to relax the muscles on your back. This will help the stiffness to melt away and make it difficult to hurt your lower back.
- Invest in the right beddings – Where you sleep matters a lot. If your mattress is too soft or too hard, then your back may be affected.
Taking these precautions will help you to alleviate lower back pain.
Management of inflamed lower back
In case you already are suffering from an inflamed lower back pain, then there are ways that you can manage it for you to keep living your everyday life and keep pain at bay.
Use heat wraps and ice packs
These two can help you to get fast relief from the swelling. It is advisable to place an ice pack on your back before going for the heat wraps. The coolness of the icepack will reduce the swelling and then placing the heat wrap will make the muscles relaxed, therefore, providing pain relief.
Resting the back area
You may think that when you read resting your back, it means that you go to bed and stay there until you are healed, right? Well, that is not true. It is vital that our body keeps moving. You should make out time to let your backrest without having to confine yourself to bed for days or weeks. It is important to have lower back mobility.
Get comfortable pillows that will be able to support your back even when you are in a sitting position.
Take some painkillers
Do not be scared to go to the doctors and tell them about the issues that you are facing. If it is back pain radiating to hip or left lower back hip pain. They may have to give you some pain-relieving drugs so that you feel better although it is usually a temporary measure.
There are some pain killers that can also be bought over the counter without having a prescription, and they can help the inflammation go down. It is important to note that you shouldn’t take any medicine without the consent of a doctor, especially when you are expecting.
Gentle exercises and stretching
As much as you don’t want to do anything that will make the pain and inflammation worse, simple, gentle stretches may give some relief. You can stretch every day before you jump in bed.
It wouldn’t hurt to seek advice on the kind of stretches that are suitable so that you don’t hurt yourself while exercising. You will find that the pain will subside and you will be able to sleep better.
You should give yourself a lot of breaks if you are dealing with an inflamed lower back. If you are sitting, then stand up and stretch a bit otherwise you will suffer from lower back pain from sitting too much. If you have been standing, then take a break and sit down for a little while. Make small adjustments at work to help you like adjusting your work station or standing while wearing very comfortable shoes.
Using an exercise ball
An exercise ball will enable you to strengthen your core muscles. The ball can be used to stabilize the spine, and in return, the back pain will reduce.
Treatment of Nerve Damage in Lower Back Pain
Suffering from nerve damage in the lower back can make you have excruciating pain. An individual suffering from lower back pain will hurt when they walk. This should not be assumed or ignored. Some ways that it can be treated include the following:
You should get the services of a qualified physiotherapist who will be able to diagnose the condition thoroughly. After doing so, they will be able to talk to the patient about the different exercises that they may help them do for them to get well. The physiotherapist can also administer different massages that will give the individual relief.
A doctor may have to prescribe heavy dosages of pain killers depending on the extent of the nerve damage. Steroid injections may be introduced into your system so that you have some relief from the sore lower back pain.
In extreme cases, the patient may have to undergo through surgery so that the nerve damage can be rectified. Usually, even after surgery, the individual may still have to take drugs to ease the internal lower back pain. Physiotherapy may also be needed for complete and total recovery.
Once you have done all that it is also essential to check your diet. Make sure that you are consuming enough nutrients and minerals. Vitamins and calcium will help you to repair your bones again.
Finding Help for Lower Back Pain Relief
If you or your loved one has chronic lower back pain, you may want to seek help from a professional physiotherapist. For free consultation with one of our therapists, book an appointment today.